Sunday, September 13, 2020

Dreams- An unknown face

One night, several years back, in a dream, I saw myself preaching to a congregation. Some of the faces in the audience were very familiar to me, friends and members of my church, but then as if a camera were zooming in on someone, one face stood out from the rest. It was of a middle aged man, partially bald, medium height and stout. He was in the 2nd or 3rd row, listening intently to my message.

I woke up the next morning and as I recollected the dream, I remembered the face that had stood out from among the rest, but wondered who it must be, for I had never met that person.

That Saturday, I was called to preach in a prayer meeting held at a friend’s house. Friday night, as I sat for prayer and asked the Lord what I should preach the next day, He gave me the verses from              Joel 2:12-14

Yet even now,” says the LORD, “turn to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning.” Tear your heart, and not your garments, and turn to the LORD, your God; for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and abundant in loving kindness, and relents from sending calamity. Who knows? He may turn and relent, and leave a blessing behind him, even a meal offering and a drink offering to the LORD, your God.

 

And there was a surprise waiting for me when I reached the house where the prayer meeting was held. There in the 2nd row sat the man the Lord had shown me in the dream. Instantly I knew that the message though for everyone, was especially for this man.

As I preached, the Holy Spirit led me through several portions of the Bible where the apostasy of the Israelites is evident. “Enquiring and worshipping Baal instead of Jehovah. The Holy Spirit led me into speaking how Christians get trapped when they involve themselves in idol worship.

After the service, the man I had seen in the dream came hastily to me and told me his story. He was a believer who had got involved in idolatry and now his daughter was mentally ill. He had done everything in his capacity to get her cured with medicines but to no avail. He had come on holidays from another state to our native place and was returning in a couple of days. I told him that the message that day was especially for him from God and that he should obey accordingly and that I would be praying for him and his ailing daughter.

It was very evident here that God wanted to give him another chance and that’s why the message-“Even now,” declares the Lord, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning.” Rend your heart and not your garments. Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and compassionate...”

I do not know whether he took the Lord’s counsel or not, for I have never seen him after that.

I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you shall go. I will counsel you with my eye on you.

(Psalm 32:8)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment