Friday, December 21, 2012

Daily Bible Blessing- 72


DBB-72


Isaac trembled violently and said, "Who was it, then, that hunted game and brought it to me? I ate it just before you came and I blessed him - and indeed he will be blessed!" (Genesis 27:33)

Isaac and Esau had become recipients of a deadly deception from their own family members. But Isaac had already blessed Jacob, his other son who had cheated him and sadly told Esau that Jacob would definitely be blessed. 
Isaac's wife Rebecca and Jacob his son had chosen deception as a way to get blessings and thus this family suffered greatly. Esau planned to kill Jacob. Jacob had to go away from home and did not return for 20 years. What a disaster!
Deception is common among families the world over and the results are broken families.

Jacob was indeed blessed as his father said, but not before suffering for his deception. He had this to say to his father-in-law Laban, regarding his life for 20 years since going away from home after deceiving his father and brother......."I have been with you for twenty years now. Your sheep and goats have not miscarried, nor have I eaten rams from your flocks. I did not bring you animals torn by wild beasts; I bore the loss myself. And you demanded payment from me for whatever was stolen by day or night. This was my situation: The heat consumed me in the daytime and the cold at night, and sleep fled from my eyes. It was like this for the twenty years I was in your household. I worked for you fourteen years for your two daughters and six years for your flocks, and you changed my wages ten times.(Genesis 31:38-41)

We then must give heed to this good advice from the book of Proverbs-

"The wisdom of the prudent is to give thought to their ways, but the folly of fools is deception." (Proverbs 14:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment