Monday, September 12, 2011

Thoughts on praise- 10

The women said to Naomi: "Praise be to the Lord, who this day has not left you without a kinsman-redeemer. May he become famous throughout Israel!" (Ruth 4:14)

Naomi had suffered much. Her husband and 2 sons had died in a foreign land and she had come back to Bethlehem as a woman without much to hope in, except Ruth, one of her daughter-in-law's who chose to stay beside her, come what may.

We read in Ruth Ch.1.
So the two women went on until they came to Bethlehem. When they arrived in Bethlehem, the whole town was stirred because of them, and the women exclaimed, "Can this be Naomi?" "Don't call me Naomi, " she told them. "Call me Mara, because the Almighty has made my life very bitter. (Ruth 1:19, 20)

But then things changed dramatically for Naomi and Ruth. Ruth went to pick up leftover grain from the fields and found herself working in a field belonging to Boaz, a relative of Naomi's husband Elimelech. Boaz was kind to her and told her:
"My daughter, listen to me. Don't go and glean in another field and don't go away from here. Stay here with my servant girls. (Ruth 2:8)

Boaz became Naomi and Ruth's kinsman-redeemer and he married Ruth, who gave birth to a son whom they named Obed. Naomi found comfort and joy in her grief from Ruth, Boaz and Obed.

The women praised God for his goodness to Naomi by granting her a kinsman-redeemer.

Praise: O Triune God, I praise you because you comfort me in my sufferings in ways only you can. I praise you because you grant me joy when I am grieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment