Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Are we really grateful?

Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done. (Psalm 105:1)

The Lord once spoke to me and said, "If you think if you are suffering, take a look at a few others."

My 2 year daughter was sick and he brought to me a mother with her child as a patient, who was far worse in bodily health than mine.
When I felt that my salary was inadequate, he pointed to me, a helper in the place that I worked, who had a very meagre earning and I realized I earned almost 22 times more than him.
I was not happy with my car breaking down now and then and he showed me people who walked to or travelled in packed buses to their workplace.

Sometimes we tend to consider trivial the blessings that the Lord gives us. The tendency is to look at what blessings we don't have rather than be grateful for how much more we have than many.

The Psalmist spoke to himself and said,
Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits. (Psalm 103:1, 2)

One verse that the Lord has reminded me often in my troubles is from the book of Job. It says,
You will surely forget your trouble, recalling it only as waters gone by. (Job 11:16)

We, as believers, must glorify and thank God for all his mercies, small and great. As the Psalmist says,
I will praise you forever for what you have done; in your name I will hope, for your name is good. I will praise you in the presence of your saints. (Psalm 52:9)

Being a faithful witness of his goodness in our lives is what God expects of us. We too must always say this one thing that the Psalmist said,
Come and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what he has done for me. (Psalm 66:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment