Friday, March 22, 2013

Daily Bible Blessing-106

I call on you, O God, for you will answer me; give ear to me and hear my prayer. (Psalm 17:6)

The psalmist here affirms his faith in God, because he had experienced answers to his prayers and that makes him pray again for God to give ear to his prayer. Prayer is one of the most vital links between a believer and God; probably can say that it is "the" vital link. In many Psalms, we read of the Psalmists crying to God, "Hear my prayer" or "Listen to my prayer". In this Psalm, the Psalmist David starts by saying, "Hear, O Lord, my righteous plea; listen to my cry. Give ear to my prayer - it does not rise from deceitful lips. (Psalm 17:1)"

Praying with guile in one's heart is a great hindrance to receiving answers to prayer, so David checked himself to be sure that there was no deceit in him while he prayed. He is sure of being innocent at heart and so he tells God, "Though you probe my heart and examine me at night, though you test me, you will find nothing; I have resolved that my mouth will not sin. As for the deeds of men - by the word of your lips I have kept myself from the ways of the violent. My steps have held to your paths; my feet have not slipped. (Psalm 17:3-5)"
In Psalm 51, where David confesses his sins and prays for cleansing from God, we can sense how much he missed his close relationship or fellowship with God because of him committing sins. He cried out..... Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. (Psalm 51:10-12)
He realized that God delighted more in a humble and contrite heart rather than sacrifices. We, as believers are a praying people, so we must make it a point to check our hearts continually to see whether there is any guile in us, because that then will be a hindrance to us receiving answers to our prayers from God Almighty. Let us submit ourselves to God as Jesus did; let us make it a point to follow in his footsteps..........During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. (Hebrews 5:7)

No comments:

Post a Comment