Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Simple Thoughts On Promises-275

After this, the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision: "Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward. " (Genesis 15:1)

The meaning of the word 'reward' is generally given as "that which is given in return for good or evil done or received; esp., that which is offered or given in return for some service or attainment, as for excellence in studies, for the return of something lost."
Thinking in these terms, "What had Abraham done to receive God as a reward?"
The Bible says, "Abraham obeyed God". Whatever God told him to do, he did. So did Noah and the other saints of whom we read about in the Bible.

God becomes our reward when we obey him. There is no greater reward than having God himself in our lives. The Psalmist says,
I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing. (Psalm 16:2)
Can we say that? He again says,
Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. (Psalm 16:5,6)

The inheritance that God has kept for us in eternity is delightful and we must look forward to the day when we can experience it first hand. So let us all obey the exhortation that Paul the Apostle gives the church at Colosse.
Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.
When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. (Colossians 3:1-4)

God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment