Thursday, July 14, 2011

Be merciful to me O Lord, for I am faint

LORD, do not rebuke me in your anger or discipline me in your wrath. Have mercy on me, LORD, for I am faint; heal me, LORD, for my bones are in agony. My soul is in deep anguish. How long, LORD, how long?(Psalm 6:1-3)


The psalmist here is crying to God for mercy; pleading that God may not chastise and rebuke him in his anger and discipline him in his wrath. He’s crying for mercy to the Lord for he has suffered much for some sin in his life. He is suffering not only bodily, but also mentally. He says “heal me O Lord for my bones are in agony”. His soul is in anguish, he’s been suffering for a long time and he is asking the Lord how much more he must suffer. He cries and prays to the Lord, “O Lord, turn and deliver me.”

We must remember that the love of the Lord is unfailing. Even if we sin, after becoming Christians, we can approach the throne of grace with confidence and confess our sins to the Lord and receive forgiveness for our sins and unrighteousness. God loves us with an everlasting love. And because of this everlasting love we can go back to him even though we have sinned and ask for forgiveness and cleansing.

The psalmist here is in distress – bodily and mentally, and his soul is in anguish. But he’s trusting in the grace, mercy, and compassion of the Lord and he believes that the Lord would deliver him. In verse 9 of the same psalm he says, “The Lord has heard my cry for mercy; the Lord accepts my prayer.” The psalmist is confident that if he confesses his sins to the Lord, the Lord would forgive him. We must also remember that our God is a forgiving God.

Trust in the mercy of the Lord. He will forgive your sins if you confess and repent of them . If you have been suffering bodily or mentally because of sins in your life, God will heal you as you repent. Approach his throne of grace with confidence because you are his child. He will never leave you nor forsake you.

No comments:

Post a Comment