Sunday, June 20, 2010

IF YOU HAVE MESSED UP, THERE'S STILL HOPE- 4 - PETER

Then Jesus told them, "This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written: " 'I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.'But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee." Peter replied, "Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will." "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times."
But Peter declared, "Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you." And all the other disciples said the same. (Matthew 26:31-35)
Later.....
Now Peter was sitting out in the courtyard, and a servant girl came to him. "You also were with Jesus of Galilee," she said. But he denied it before them all. "I don't know what you're talking about," he said. Then he went out to the gateway, where another girl saw him and said to the people there, "This fellow was with Jesus of Nazareth." He denied it again, with an oath: "I don't know the man!" After a little while, those standing there went up to Peter and said, "Surely you are one of them, for your accent gives you away." Then he began to call down curses on himself and he swore to them, "I don't know the man!" Immediately a rooster crowed. Then Peter remembered the word Jesus had spoken: "Before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times." And he went outside and wept bitterly. (Matthew 26:69-75)

Jesus' disciple Peter was a failure, though before others he put up a front that he was a success. Jesus knew that Peter's heart was not truly yielded to him, though he did many things to please him (Jesus). Peter finally denied and disowned Jesus as Jesus had prophesied. Jesus knew that he would have to deal with Peter and he did so after he rose from the dead.

It happened like this....After providing a miraculous catch of fish to the disciples and after giving them breakfast....
Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?" "Yes, LORD," he said, "you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my lambs." Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?" He answered, "Yes, LORD, you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep." The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "LORD, you know all things; you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my sheep. (John 21:15-17)

After this encounter and the experience at Pentecost, Peter was a changed man. Peter who was immature, impulsive & fearful earlier became mature, Holy Spirit controlled and bold. He led a life full of faith, had greater discerning and was God’s kingdom oriented.
What about you? Do you identify yourself with Peter? immature, impulsive & fearful...If you do, there's hope for you because the Lord Jesus who brought about a change in Peter's life still lives.

IF YOU HAVE MESSED UP, THERE'S STILL HOPE. REMEMBER, GOD CAN TURN YOUR FAILURES INTO SUCCESS.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment